Going exclusive in a relationship isn’t always an easy concept for people. If you ask seven different people the same question about it, you’ll get seven different answers. So, we figured that touching on the topic of exclusivity couldn’t be covered in just one article. In the first part of our series we’re giving a few tips on the right way to go about broaching the topic of exclusivity with your date.
DON’T: The First Date
There are some folks out there, especially women, who will say off the bat that they’re looking for a monogamous relationship and to go elsewhere if you’re not looking for that, too. Well, it’s great to be straightforward, but the first date isn’t the time for this kind of talk. If it comes up naturally, you can talk about what you’re looking for in a relationship. It’s the first date and you don’t even know the person yet, so hold off a bit.
DO: Know When You’re Ready
Well, you must be wondering if the first date is too early, when is it too late? That’s a great question. Women tend to think of exclusivity early on, especially when sex comes into the picture — feelings of vulnerability and health concerns arise. If you feel the urge to share more personal things with your date, it may be time to talk exclusivity. For women, that may be when you begin to share specifics of bodily functions (bloating, stomach aches, etc), and for men it may be when you invite her along when your friends are around.
Read on for more Do’s & Don’ts →
Maintaining a long term relationship has its challenges, but perhaps science can offer help in that department. Psychologist and researcher Robert Epstein, PhD, believes that you can keep your love strong through scientifically-proved techniques. Here are some of his love-building exercises — and a few of our own — to keep your relationship strong.
Re-Live Your First Date
To spark that fire, try to re-live your first date. Reflect on your relationship and share your favorite memories. Taking this time together will help remind you why you’re with that special someone. Reminiscing on those memories will bring you close together and you’ll have fun to boot.
Most people appreciate their personal space, but in this exercise you’ll be invading your partner’s space for the sake of love. Start by facing one another, standing about four feet away and moving closer every few seconds without touching each other. Keep from touching as long as possible. Afterward, break the tension by embracing.
The trick to this one is mutually gazing as opposed to one person staring at the other. For two minutes or so, gaze into each other’s eyes. As cheesy as it may sound, try to look deeply into the core of your partner. Dr. Epstein found this exercise to work best, even between two strangers, in creating closeness.
Two Become One
Gently embrace your partner. Sense your partner’s breathing and concentrate on it, trying to synchronize your own breathing with their’s. After a few minutes you’ll begin to feel very relaxed and as if the two of you are one. This is an easy exercise to integrate after making love or when you’re relaxing on the couch.
Welcome to the September 21, 2011 edition of the Carnival of Online Dating! This is the thirteenth edition of the blog carnival, and we really appreciate those who have submitted their links for inclusion. Spread the word: The next Carnival of Online Dating will be October 5, 2011, so make sure to get your submissions in by 8:59pm PST/11:59pm EST Tuesday October 4th.
- W Wilcox presents Cheap First-Date Ideas posted at Single Online Dating, saying, “In order to choose the perfect location or activity, it is important that you take into consideration the interests and personality of your date.”
Dating Tips & Advice
- Persha presents Why Not To Get Back Together With Your Ex: 4 Reasons To Consider Before Reconciling posted at Dumped Days.
- Honey presents 5 ways to catch a cheating spouse posted at Spy Gadgets, saying, “Technology tips to catch a cheating spouse”
- Joe Camel presents Ways to improve your results with online dating posted at Free Online dating, saying, “Free Online dating for singles from all walks of life and ethnic backgrounds.Harley riders,country singles, phillipino singles and more.Dating news,blogs and discussions.Instant messenger.Contests and prizes. 100% Free. Find singles in your area today!”
- W Wilcox presents Why online dating scores better than conventional dating posted at Single Online Dating, saying, “With dating gaining popularity online, it has managed to change the lives of so many people since it was first introduced in the early nineties.”
Be sure to tune in every 1st and 3rd Wednesdays for more! The next Carnival of Online Dating will be October 5th, 2011, so make sure to get your submissions in by 8:59pm PST/11:59pm EST Tuesday October 4th!
That concludes this edition. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.