Not all infidelity is of the physical kind, but it can often begin with an emotional affair. It seems safe enough — your partner may have friends of the opposite sex, and it’s all platonic. But sometimes, things get more emotionally intimate, and these types of affairs can be just as damaging as physical ones.
What exactly is an emotional affair?
An emotional affair is usually classified as an affair that hasn’t reached the point of sex. You share a relationship beyond that of friendship, and it’s almost always a secret. Some people might think, “Well, they aren’t having sex, so,” but this type of affair can be just as damaging as an all-out physical affair.
In an emotional affair, you’re not only investing more of your time and emotional energy into a relationship outside of your committed one, but you’re receiving emotional support and companionship. You can start to feel closer to this other person, and many times, sexual tension builds to unbearable levels creating a situation in which you’re likely to sleep with them.
As mentioned earlier, even if there’s no sexual contact, emotional affairs end up damaging due to your partner feeling betrayed and deceived.
Warning Signs of an Emotional Infidelity
Here are a few things to look for if you suspect your partner is in an emotional affair:
- Your partner becomes defensive when you ask about their friendship.
- Your partner seems withdrawn or distant during the day, and you spend less time together.
- Your partner is less interested in being intimate — sexually or emotionally.
- Your partner spends more time with their friend.
Subscribe To ONLINE DATING For Dating Updates
Welcome to the October 5, 2011 edition of the Carnival of Online Dating! This is the fourteenth edition of the blog carnival, and we really appreciate those who have submitted their links for inclusion. Spread the word: The next Carnival of Online Dating will be October 19, 2011, so make sure to get your submissions in by 8:59pm PST/11:59pm EST Tuesday October 18th.
- Donna Cullen presents 10 Fun Restaurants to Try on a Date posted at Top Dating Sites, saying, “Dating should be fun. The problem for many couples, whether it’s picking a place to go on your first date or your twelfth, is finding a place that will entertain and engage you. Here is a list of some of best date restaurants across the country.”
Dating Tips & Advice
- vinman presents How to Get Your Boyfriend Back Without Losing Your Self-Esteem posted at Online Dating Services and Dating Tips, saying, “It is understandable that you are unable to forget the memorable times you were with your dating partner. Getting back your ex is important, but do not do it losing your self respect.”
- Mary Edwards presents What Not to Wear on Your First Date posted at Best Dating Sites, saying, “There are no fashion police these days (except Stacey and Clinton from What Not to Wear). People do tend to wear whatever they like: Skinny jeans, flared jeans, long skirts, short skirts, plaid and paisley. And what would be totally acceptable in one group, might not be in another. So bear that in mind as you look at this list. There may be some groups of people and certain first date circumstances, that these rules would not apply to. They are general in nature. Ultimately, it is up to you.”
- Kisses B presents Fellas, she’s just not that into if… posted at I Want My Kisses Back.
- vinman presents Online Dating Mistakes Men Should Avoid posted at Online Dating Services and Dating Tips, saying, “Are you upset with repeated dating failures? Learn the mistakes you should avoid to make the best impression.”
- Mary Edwards presents 10 Reasons No Girl Is Good Enough for Mamma’s Boy posted at Best Dating Sites, saying, “Some mothers have a hard time letting go. When it comes to their sons, especially if they only have one, they can get a little possessive. They may have a hard time thinking that there is someone out there suitable for their perfect angel. Listed below are ten reasons no girl is good enough for mamma’s boy.”
- Kisses B presents Courtship is dying… No, Maybe It’s Dead posted at I Want My Kisses Back.
Be sure to tune in every 1st and 3rd Wednesdays for more! The next Carnival of Online Dating will be October 19th, 2011, so make sure to get your submissions in by 8:59pm PST/11:59pm EST Tuesday October 18th!
That concludes this edition. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.
You think the hard part is over — you’re with an amazing person, and you want to share every aspect of your life with them. Introducing them to your friends seems like the next logical step, but it’s harder than you’d imagine. You want to meet their friends, but you’re nervous. Here are a few tips on how to get comfortable around your partner’s friends.
Have your partner prep you, almost like a celebrity being prepped for an interview. It might seem silly, but getting talking points from your partner will help! Talk to your partner about their friend’s backgrounds and discuss things you all may have in common. Learn what you can so you can relate.
If any of your partner’s friends are taken, try going out on a double date. You’ll be able to socialize one-on-one — this will help you feel more comfortable, and you may make a few friends, too. Be sure to have your partner filter out the couples with partners you may not get along with, it could end up being pretty awkward.
Read More Tips →