OKCupid Review & Walkthrough
“OkCupid is the fastest-growing online dating site. We use math to get you dates. It’s extremely accurate, as long as (a) you’re honest, and (b) you know what you want. We are completely free.
Most other matching sites are just glorified personals services; their “matching” systems are nonexistent or overly subjective. We don’t claim to evaluate you perfectly, but we do claim to find someone who claims to fulfill your claimed requirements, exactly.”
- Clean, easy-to-use interface
- Advanced matching system
- Completely free
OKCupid is focused on bringing you who you want. Their system is mainly built around getting what you put into it — the more work you put into your profile, and the more questions you answer, the more matches you’ll see and the more accurate matches you’ll get. So, what do you get with OKCupid? The site touts itself as completely free, and that’s mostly the case. You can access features like basic search and full communication with all members as a free member, but OKCupid offers a paid option, the A-List. But, more on that later.
OKCupid’s initial sign-up process is very simple, only requiring what you’re looking for and your zip code. Past that, you’re asked to provide a few basic things like a username, email, your marital status, orientation, etc.
When you sign up, be prepared to not have many matches at all unless you fill out a few personal details and interests. The system matches you up with more people the more questions you answer on the site. OKCupid match questions consist of:
- The question — self-explanatory.
- The answers you’ll accept. What you’d like your matches to say.
- The question’s importance. How strongly do you feel about it?
- An explanation. If you think your response needs explaining, tell your side of the story.
It should be noted that you can skip or mark any questions “Private” if you don’t want anyone to compare answers with you. You can also go back at a later time to change the answers to any questions — hey, people change, right? The key here is to be completely honest, so the system matches you with someone you’ll be interested in, and vice-versa. If you only answer questions with answers the average person would want to hear, then they probably won’t be too interested in you when it comes time to get to know one another.
Some questions you’ll see on the questionnaire:
- Is it a requirement that you communicate with your significant other every single day, in some way (phone, email, in person, etc.)?
- Politically, which are more important to you right now?
- Is contraception morally wrong?
Search your matches on OKCupid by the basics or something more specific, like living habits. Many search features are blocked unless you’re an A-Lister, so keep that in mind.
Tests, Quizzes, & Toys
Have fun taking tests and quizzes created by the OKCupid staff and users. Think: “Are You a Geek, Nerd, or Dork?” and “Are You a Slut?” Share you quiz results on your profile or with friends if you’d like.
Discover the other fun activities OKCupid offers by heading to their “The Toy Bin” section under “Treasures.” You’ll find OKCupid’s iPhone app, their dating research, match map, and other time sinks.
Notes & Ratings
It’s worth noting that OKCupid includes a section for notes and ratings on your matches. Don’t ever lose track of what your though of that cute guy, and make sure you stay away from that creeper. Through the same interface, you’re able to see your favorites and see who has visited your profile.
Easily connect with anyone on OKCupid in real time. If you know their username, simply type it into the IM window and you’re off!
OKCupid is a completely free service, but you do have the option of a few additional features as a paid subscriber. As an A-List member, you’re able to:
- Have access to enhances search — by match questions, dating persona, attractiveness/body type, personality traits, similar user, customized filter, totally random, or multiple saved searches.
- You can limit who can see your photos and create albums of things other than you (family, pets, etc.).
- You can attach photos to messages.
- You can store up to 5,000 messages, the default is 300. And if a member has no more storage space, as an A-Lister, your message will always get through.
- No ads.
- You can change your username.
- Enhanced anonymous browsing — normally users who browse anonymously will not be able to see who has viewed their profiles either, but A-Listers can.
- Special A-Lister badge for your profile.
- An in-depth personality profile
- Full-functioning, free site
- Fun quizzes, games, activities
- Many users
- Your matching is based on what you put into it
- Some ads
- No advanced matching for free
OKCupid is completely free, but if you’d like an A-List membership, pricing is as follows:
- 1 Month Membership: $9.95/mo
- Number of Users
- Feature Set
- Profile Quality