Lavalife Review & Walkthrough
“Lavalife has been a leader in online dating personals for over twenty years. Lavalife is the preferred choice for singles interested in dating. The Lavalife personals online dating site is a trusted way to find that someone special, since 1983 Lavalife has been a leader in connecting singles through our exceptional online personals service.”
- Extensive filtering and feature options
- 3 major dating categories to choose from
- You can request an instant messenging session with interested users
Lavalife is good for everyone, but is especially geared toward single parents. They have a large feature-set and decent number of member profiles. An interesting aspect of Lavalife is the multiple profile types you can create, depending on what type of relationship you are looking for — casual dating, intimate encounters, and relationships. On top of that, each community has polls, forums, content, and options to search and browse.
The sign-up process is very simple: You’re only required to provide a nickname, opening line, gender, date of birth, and zip code. For an extremely quick sign up, you also have the option to create your account by registering via Facebook.
You’ll receive a verification email that must be clicked, or your account will be deleted, as I found out from first hand experience. Only about 2 days had passed between the time I created the account and when it was deleted, so if you sign up, don’t plan to do anything else until you’ve verified your email. Lavalife’s customer service isn’t the speediest, but my account was reinstated within 2 days.
One thing that irked me was the account password requirement: You’re only allowed 8 characters max. Just something to note.
Uploading photos is extremely simple, and you can easy check off which profile you’d like it to appear in, or you can opt to keep it private (“Backstage”).
Lavalife is a clean, easy-to-use site with little advertising. You can view quick facts and interests, as well as photos, galleries, and videos on user profiles.
- Fast Facts: Age, looks, smoking/drinking, religion, location
- In My Own Words: Freeform by user
- Since You Asked (Dating Profile): My idea of a fun date, I like to talk about, My friends would describe me as
- Have In Common (Relationship Profile Profile): My idea of romance includes, In my spare time I enjoy, I value
- Interests: Outdoor activities/fitness, sports I participate in, sports I watch, entertainment, hobbies & other interests
- Backstage & Gallery: Photos of user — “Backstage” is a private collectoion of user photos
One of Lavalife’s best features is the ability to search for members. Since the site doesn’t match for you, you need to get on finding your next hookup/partner/spouse. Lavalife makes the process very simple, providing you with a Quick Search and Advanced Search method, as well as a username search and saved search options.
Connect easily with other Lavalife users through IM. There’s a bar on the bottom of the page so you can keep track of the IM’s from each community.
Something I’ve yet to come across on an online dating site is Twitter feed integration. If you’re comfortable with sharing your tweets with others, this is a great tool.
Need dating tips, or have a question on intimacy? Use Lavalife’s free forums to interact with the community and just have fun!
Click Magazine is Lavalife’s source for articles on sex, online dating, and romance. Read up on interesting stories or articles from their blog.
- Many great features, most can access as free member
- Over 15 million members
- Easy to use, clean interface
- 3 available communities to join
- Shows when members were last online
- Subscribing isn’t straightforward, main button brings you to account add-ons instead of main subscription page
- Cannot hide IM bar at the bottom of screen
- Cannot view who has placed you on their “Hotlist”
The average Lavalife user is a middle-aged white man without children and who is more affluent than the average person. There is also a strong Black and Asian representation.
Lavalife Site Traffic
Lavalife gets right around 250K unique visitors a month, which is smaller than the major dating sites but still enough that there should be a lot of registered users. Lavalife is a smaller dating website that focuses more on single parents than the general public.
You can pay via credit card, PayPal, money order, and BilltoMobile.
- 1 Month Membership: $19.99/mo
- 3 Month Membership: $16.99/mo
- 6 Month Membership: $9.99/mo
- Highlight your profile: $2.99/mo
- Be a featured member: $2.99/mo
- Go mobile with Lavalife2Go: $4.99/mo
- Get Noticed Bundle (profile highlighting + feature): $4.99/mo
- Number of Users
- Feature Set
- Profile Quality