eHarmony Review & Walkthrough
eHarmony is more than traditional Internet dating.
“At eHarmony, we deliver more than just dates. Our patented Compatibility Matching System® narrows the field from thousands of single men or single women to match with a highly select group of compatible singles — singles who have been prescreened on 29 Dimensions® of Compatibility: scientific predictors of long-term relationship success.”
- Extensive matching capabilities
- Scientific Matching
- 29 dimensions of compatibility
eHarmony launched in 2000, and is one of the top online dating services in the world. With a a focus on advanced matching — they’ve even patented the technology — the eHarmony experience is a unique one. The site uses scientific methods, 29 dimensions of compatibility, and expert guidance to help find the most compatible matches for you.
All of this does come at a price though, as eHarmony is one of the more costly services priced at $59.95 a month for the 1-month option. If you do want a more managed and thorough online dating experience, eHarmony may be right for you.
eHarmony’s sign up questionnaire is extensive, but well worth the time for the site’s signature deep compatibility matching. You’ll start off with the basics — personal information and characteristics. Most of the questionnaire is in a scaled format, for example, answering “least likely” to “most likely.”
Be prepared to answer many questions that are similar — it can get old, but in setting up the questionnaire this way, eHarmony is more likely to get a solid look at your personality.
So, what sort of questions will you be answering during this extended sign up process?
- Important qualities you look for in a partner
- Your personal interests and hobbies
- How often you feel certain ways — ex. depressed, angry, energetic, successful
- Your relationship orientation and values
- Your living skills — ex. socializing, entertaining, resolving conflicts
- Your communication style — ex. understanding, accommodation, passion
Like other online dating websites, you have the option to add multiple photos to your eHarmony profile — up to 12. eHarmony does require approval for every photo you upload, so be sure to read over their posting guidelines and put your best face forward.
Another useful eHarmony feature is the FotoFlexer, which allows you to crop, rotate, remove red eye, and auto fix your photos after uploading. You also have the option to upload photos directly from your computer or import from Facebook.
Your eHarmony profile is typical as far as online dating websites go — you have a photo, basic information, and your interests.
Plumping Up Your Profile
A nice touch is the addition of the “In My Own Words” section to your profile: These short answer format questions go beyond multiple choice.
Add another layer to your profile by filling out the Something To Talk About section. There’s a list of 11 different categories, from Pets to Sports and Leisure — eHarmony will let you know when a match shares any of your interests.
As a non-subscribing member on eHarmony, you do have more access compared to many online dating sites. You are still limited though — here’s what you cannot do:
- CANNOT view any member photos
- CANNOT get your ID verified
- CANNOT make/receive secured calls
- CANNOT see who has viewed your profile
- Very detailed matching
- One of the few sites with more women than men
- Offers “guided” communication, icebreakers
- Can set visibility of your profile picture
- Extended profiles
- Easy to use
- More expensive than other sites
- Can only connect with those with a paid membership
- Cannot view any member photos unless subscribed
- Cannot search for members (only through your own matches)
- Matches aren’t instant
The average eHarmony user is a middle-aged white woman without children and who is slightly less affluent than the average person. There are, however, more collage graduates on eHarmony than average.
eHarmony Site Traffic
eHarmony gets about four million visitors a month, which is far above average. Their high traffic can probably be attributed to their extensive advertising both on- and offline. There is definitely a strong user base on eHarmony, with many possible matches to be made.
Basic lets you view photos and communicate with your matches.
- 1 Month Membership: $59.95/mo
- 3 Month Membership: $44.95/mo
- 6 Month Membership: $33.95/mo
- 12 Month Membership: $23.95/mo
TotalConnect includes a Premium Personality Profile, RelyID, Secure Call, plus all Basic plan features.
- 3 Month Membership: $45.95/mo
- 6 Month Membership: $34.95/mo
- 12 Month Membership: $26.95/mo
- Number of Users
- Feature Set
- Profile Quality