Date.com Review & Walkthrough
“Established in 1997, we are a pioneering internet dating site offering free online personals. For over ten years, our website has helped thousands of online singles find their perfect dates.”
- Millions of Profiles
- Video chat feature
- Focused on the U.S., U.K. and Canada
Date.com is a straightforward dating site that has a large user base and a few neat features like video chat and instant messaging. Overall, they’re a solid dating site for the money.
The sign up process is extremely simple, only requiring your basic information, the country you live in, your birthday, a username, a password and email address. Because of the high number of members, you may spend a minute or two typing in various usernames until you find one that isn’t taken, but it will give you suggestions, thankfully. Once you’ve completed the quick personal information form, you’re able to access the site instantly — no extended questionnaires to worry about.
At sign up you can add a photo if you choose, and you have the option to add 9 more photos under the free membership option. Date.com gives you a simple cropping tool and caption section once you’ve uploaded a photo, but nothing else.
Viewing member profiles is straightforward, and you can view all of the information they provide. You can choose to fill out extended profile information as well — this helps others searching to find you. Profile sections include:
- Basic Information: Looks, family, relationship status, location
- In My Own Words: About Me, Things I like to do in…, Places that I like to take a date in…, Celebrity that I most resemble…
- About Me: More specific — eye color, build, religion, smoking, drinking, schooling, etc.
- My Interests: Favorite books, music, sports, etc.
- What I’m Looking For: My partner’s looks and My partner’s lifestyle
One nice feature about Date.com is the ability to search for members. Since the site doesn’t match for you, you need to get on finding your next hookup/partner/spouse. Date.com makes the process very simple, providing you with a basic and advanced search method, as well as a username search and quick search options.
- Age range
- Member status (All, new, online, birthday)
- Save search
- Photos only option
- Body type
- Ethnicity, religion
- Hair/eye color
- Education, career
- Relationship status
Another interesting feature on Date.com is the virtual gift section. You can purchase a virtual gift, like a stuffed animal, flower, heart, or beverage — prices start at $1 per gift, and go up to as much as $9 per gift. You can pay with either PayPal or credit card.
Gift Token Pricing
- 10 Tokens for $1.00 USD
- 50 Tokens for $5.00 USD
- 100 Tokens for $9.00 USD
- 250 Tokens for $21.00 USD
- 500 Tokens for $40.00 USD
- Can search profiles
- Cheaper than eHarmony
- Icebreaker activities through virtual gifts and chat
- See who has viewed your profile, even if you’re not a subscriber
- Chat rooms, audio and video messaging for subscribers
- Doesn’t require you to add at least one photo
- No instant matches, only occasional match messages sent to users
- Needs more obvious prompts to complete profile
- No communication options for non-subscribers beyond the “Show Interest” button
The average Date.com user is a middle-aged white man without children or a college degree, and who is slightly less affluent than the average person.
Date.com Site Traffic
Date.com has been around for over 11 years, and gets right around 300K unique visitors per month, which is smaller than the major dating sites but definitely enough registered users for many possibilities. Date.com is a great small to mid-sized dating site.
You can pay via PayPal, credit card, or online check.
- 1 Month Membership: $34.95
- 3 Month Membership: $23.32/mo
- 6 Month Membership: $16.66/mo
- 1 year Membership: $11.66/mo
- Number of Users
- Feature Set
- Profile Quality